[Bloat] curious.....

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr
Sun Dec 8 12:47:42 EST 2013

> > as long as you have fewer than 250 congestion-limited flows at
> > a given time.

> Currently not doing much of anything my router has 142 active
> connections (according to conntrack)

142 active conntrack entries, as opposed to congestion-limited flows.
Roughly speaking, an active conntrack entry is a flow that has sent at
least a packet within the last minute or so, while a congestion-limited
flow is one that sends data as fast as it reasonably can.  I certainly
hope you don't have 142 congestion-limited flows on an idle router.

> I still think that for VoIP prioritizing might still be required
> until supplied minimum bandwidth gets higher.

I agree, in the short term.  In the medium term, I'm optimistic we can
get rid of these nasty hacks, which is why I'd rather see Dave spend
his copious free time on something else.

> Even at 1000 symmetric I still think it would be a good idea to
> isolate really latency critical traffic from the rest,

It would certainly be good to have hard data rather than confronting
your intuitions with my back-of-the-envelope computations.  (Hint, hint.)

-- Juliusz