[Bloat] curious.....

Jonathan Morton chromatix99 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 8 16:05:20 EST 2013

On 8 Dec, 2013, at 7:56 pm, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:

>> Notably it seems few have internalized what the "sparse stream"
>> optimization does for things like voip.
>
> We're waiting with held breath until you care to enlighten us ;-)

I think I know what he's talking about.  This is where a packet arriving for an empty queue will be prioritised over packets waiting at the head of queues - but a flag will be set on that empty queue to ensure that it only happens once per cycle.  That reduces latency for stuff that isn't a bulk data flow.

The trouble is that if there's a sufficiently large number of congested flows (eg. BitTorrent) that VoIP's "fair share" is less than what it needs, that optimisation is disabled and VoIP stops working - unless it can detect and adapt to a lower bandwidth, or unless it is classified and managed as distinct from bulk data.

 - Jonathan Morton