[Bloat] curious.....

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Mon Dec 9 04:51:25 EST 2013

Hi Hal,

On Dec 8, 2013, at 21:41 , Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

>> 	Even at 1000 symmetric I still think it would be a good idea to isolate
>> really latency critical traffic from the rest, even if under normal
>> circumstances there should be no problem, I guess a "better safe than sorry"
>> approach. But, hey I do not do this for a living so I might be on the wrong
>> track here.
>
> The problem is who gets to decide what is latency critical and/or how to do
> it such that the bad-guys can't game the system.

	Ah, that is easy, in your home-router that is you :); no one else knows how much you value uninterrupted VoIP sessions. Now as always this is not perfect as you can not fully control the marking on the downlink, but in that case I still think it makes sense to mark on your router and shape the downlink, while not as good as the uplink shaping and marking it still improves things noticeably.

best
	Sebastian