[Bloat] CFP: Workshop on Reducing Internet Latency

Neil Davies neil.davies at pnsol.com
Tue Dec 10 02:54:46 EST 2013

Mikael

Your statements about ADSL2+ are interesting; I've been looking at deployments where the SNR is "ok" but (by measurement) 20% packet loss is occurring. This state can last for several minutes, resolved by a re-train (but that has to be initiated manually from the customer end).

Our current "hypothesis" is that specific frequencies are suffering due to very specific (narrow) changes in the transmission characteristics - "slot filters" that come into existence (due to changes in environmental conditions) then disappear.

We've seen this even when we've played with the settings through the customer portal (I'm' in the UK - the provisioning portal allows many such changes).

Are you capturing any evidence of DSL modem state when this occurs?

Neil