[Bloat] [e2e] [aqm] What is a good burst? -- AQM evaluation guidelines

Steinar H. Gunderson sgunderson at bigfoot.com
Mon Dec 16 09:50:39 EST 2013

On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 04:28:35PM +0200, Jonathan Morton wrote:
> I am also reminded of the livestreamed demoscene event from a couple of
> years ago, which was producing enormous aggregate bursts every time a frame
> group completed encoding (multiple times a second).  This wasn't enough on
> a single flow to impact individual end-users much, but it overwhelmed the
> local and gateway buffers chronically, thereby crippling the entire
> livestreaming exercise until a workaround could be implemented.

FWIW, as the person in charge of said livestreaming: Since last year we did
pacing (with HTB hacks; for 2014, we'll use sch_fq with hand-set rate
limits). It worked out much better.

We're in a very simple situation, though, with only one possible quality per
stream (no autotuning up/down, users will do that manually if they're not
happy); I think there was a paper back where people had reverse-engineered
the Netflix algorithm for changing bitrates, and that problem isn't trivial
at all.

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/