[Bloat] I am unable to pinpoint the source of bufferbloat

Forums1000 forums1000 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 13:32:40 EST 2013

The newer modem supports the bonding of more download channels (8 vs. 4 for
the 6120) and is also used in conjunction with telephony (whereas I have a
pure Internet subscription without telephony). Anyway, all of that should
not matter as you also indicate: both can handle the respective up- and
download speeds with ease.

Yes, both she and I have the same subscription (minus the telephony): 60 Mb
down and 4 Mb up. We also only live 25 kilometres apart (small country:-))
The uplink speed is mostly consistent around 3.76 megabit. I've never
caught our cable company going lower than 3.50 megabit in the upload
direction and I've done a lot of speedtests. The only limit I have been
able to observe is in the download direction when their network is really
busy.

I guess I will have to venture into traffic shaping. (I'll probably loose a
lot of sleep setting this up lol). Is there any way to determine the buffer
size reliably?