[Bloat] I am unable to pinpoint the source of bufferbloat

Forums1000 forums1000 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 17:06:33 EST 2013

Excellent information. So an AQM-algorithm will sort things on the OS level
of the router and should make things considerably better. However, from
reading around on the matter, it seems drivers for the network device and
the hardware itself also contain buffers. Since, Dave (and respect for
that) is developing CeroWRT, is there anything that can be done about that?
Do we have any idea on how severe the buffering in drivers and hardware is?

A little test I just performed using Windows XP now, indeed shows that
Netalyzr is showing me a worst case scenario:

- a continuous ping (1 ping per second) between 2 routers under my control
has an RTT of 20ms (give or take). The remote router I'm pinging sits
pretty much idle and has nothing better to do than answering the ping.
- uploading a large file to Google drive (thereby saturating my uplink
bandwidth) adds +-10ms of additional latency. Sure it varies a bit between
20 and 30ms and goes to 35ms or even 40ms regularly. Moreover, every now
and then I get a spike to 70-80ms but that spike never lasts more than 3
pings.

All in all considerably lower bloat than the 550ms Netalyzr is indicating.
In order to mimic the worst case scenario, I'd have to transfer using UDP
then?