[Bloat] I am unable to pinpoint the source of bufferbloat

Forums1000 forums1000 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 11:42:33 EST 2013

Firstly, I can confirm uploading to Google Drive saturates my upload (I
checked the outgoing rate in the router) and  also tried Dropbox and got
the same result.

Anyway, performing an upload with Windows 7 and then pinging the remote
router with windows XP, added 50ms to the "unbloated" 20ms roundtrip times.
So the lowest "most represented" RTT numbers I was getting were around
70ms, the worst well over 100ms.
I said "most represented" in the previous sentence, as there was also a
significant delay variance ("jitter") in the RTT's. The RTT's regularly
dived under 70ms, sometimes even hitting an odd 30ms. The was also a large
swing in the other direction with regular ventures to 110-120ms. Needless
to say, the balance of those ventures tilted more towards the higher
numbers.

So Windows 7, being more modern definitely induces more bufferbloat (thanks
to TCP window scaling:)). I'll be repeating this when running Wireshark as
it slipped my mind to fire it up.

As a sidenote to the above:
I still don't see how an AQM-algorithm will combat the buffering in drivers
and hardware (actually, are the issues pertaining to "drivers" and
"hardware' distinct or referring to the same?). I understand that feeding
less packets to a device will prevent the hardware buffer from filling up
as fast as without AQM, but we cannot actually influence its (the HW
buffer) size, can we? If so, it can still introduce a bottleneck that
cannot be prevented...