[Bloat] bloat in the industry

Michael Richardson mcr at sandelman.ca
Tue Feb 12 15:01:48 EST 2013

    >> What *I* need is a place, perhaps at isoc.org, where key contacts
    >> on the bufferbloat issue at each vendor can be kept, and I could
    >> refer sales person from vendor X to bufferbloat expert at vendor
    >> X.  It needs to be vaguely wiki-ish and forum-ish (as much as I
    >> hate forums), so that even if we can't get vendor Z to fix their
    >> product, we can at least share information about what did work
    >> and what didn't work.

    Eggert> something else that (maybe in addition) could be useful
    Eggert> would be to document the bufferbloat symptoms and causes in
    Eggert> an RFC. Then you could refer your suppliers to said RFC and
    Eggert> request them to state that their gear does *not* exhibit
    Eggert> the documented issues.

I agree that this would help, it's the first step.

The document needs to be authored with someone with some serious
transport credentials.  I'm not such a person.

Transcribing Van Jacobson's IETF84 presentation would almost be enough...

(https://plus.google.com/107942175615993706558/posts/F6G2qAD6fPN)