[Bloat] bloat in the industry

MUSCARIELLO Luca OLNC/OLN luca.muscariello at orange.com
Thu Feb 21 07:47:35 EST 2013

Nothing to do with isoc but mostly with the subject of this thread.

A relevant place for solving problems like bufferbloat in the industry
is HGI http://www.homegatewayinitiative.org/
Most of commercial gateways to provide triple play services in the
home follow specifications coming  from this forum.

We have been working on solving "bufferbloat" in the ADSL uplink at FT by
using per-flow queuing (see also a previous mail by Jim Roberts) with
satisfactory results,  but no standard approaches are available from
this forum.
The problem is known (not as bufferbloat) and  they probably need simple
solutions.

So every implementation, you do on your own, must be ported again
into new generation hardware/software. While Linux is often available in
GW's CPEs,
it might happen that the fast-path is used by the switch and queuing is
managed by other packet processing units (different hardware, different
code).

Standardization would help to avoid that. Softco and chipco should
provide by
default this kind of solutions.

To conclude,  the ADSL uplink is becoming particularly important
nowadays because
of "Cloud" services, so I believe HGI is a good place to consider.

Luca

--
France Telecom R&D - Orange Labs
MUSCARIELLO Luca - NMP/TRM