[Bloat] Bufferbloat Paper

David Lang david at lang.hm
Tue Jan 8 21:02:05 PST 2013

 On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 22:39:20 -0500, Mark Allman wrote:
>> > Note the paper does not work in units of *connections* in section
>> 2, but
>> > rather in terms of *RTT samples*.  So, nearly 5% of the RTT
>> samples add
>> > "residential" case).
>>
>> Hmm, yes, I was wondering about this and was unable to fully grok
>> it:
>> what, exactly, is an RTT sample? :)
>
> One RTT measurement between the CCZ monitoring point and the remote
> end
> host.
>
>> Incidentally, are the data extraction scripts available somewhere?
>> Might be worthwhile to distribute them as some kind of tool that
>> people with interesting vantage points could apply to get useful
>> data?
>
> Well, they are not readily available.  I used a non-public extension
> Bro (that is not mine) to get the RTT samples.  So, that is a
> sticking
> point.  And, then there is a ball of goop to analyze those.  If folks
> have a place they can monitor and are interested in doing so, please
> contact me.  I can probably get this in shape enough to give you.
> But,
> I doubt I'll be able to somehow package this for general consumption
> any
> time soon.

 I really like the idea of trying to measure latency by sniffing the
 network and watching the time for responses.

 If this can work then I think a lot of people would be willing to put a
 sniffer inline in their datacenter to measure this.

 How specialized is what you are running? can it be made into a
 single-use tool that just measures and reports latency?

 David Lang