[Bloat] Programming assignment #1 in cs244 in Stanford

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 17:12:43 PST 2013

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 8:04 PM, Hagen Paul Pfeifer <hagen at jauu.net> wrote:
>> http://www.stanford.edu/class/cs244/2013/pa1.html
>
> The surprise for me is there network emulation component called mininet. Simple based on Linux network namespaces and some glue components, managed by a python script.
>
> I often dreamed of such a lightweight network virtualization framework! Powerful enough to replace my KVM-qemu, vde, ... setup - nice work!

My kvetch is that they are using a 100 buffers, (come on, use 1000,
FEEL the bloat)

... and the second part of the experiment uses 20 buffers, and I doubt
that the structure of it will show the side-effects what such a size
can cause in things such as tcp admission control. Perhaps that's
handled in a later module.

Either way it looks like a nice class, and a quick glance over mininet
makes me want to run screaming from ns2 as fast as possible in it's
general direction.