[Bloat] Bufferbloat Paper

Mark Watson watsonm at netflix.com
Mon Jan 7 21:04:54 EST 2013

On Jan 7, 2013, at 4:33 PM, Dave Taht wrote:

> "We use a packet trace collection taken from the Case Con-
> nection Zone (CCZ) [1] experimental fiber-to-the-home net-
> work which connects roughly 90 homes adjacent to Case
> Western Reserve University’s campus with **bi-directional 1 Gbps
> links**. "
>
> Aside from their dataset having absolutely no reflection on the
> reality of the 99.999% of home users running at speeds two or three or
> *more* orders of magnitude below that speed, it seems like a nice
> paper.

Actually they analyze the delay between the measurement point in CCZ and the *remote* peer, splitting out residential and non-residential peers. 57% of the peers are residential. Sounds like a lot of the traffic is p2p. You could argue that the remote, residential p2p peers are not on "typical" connections and that this traffic doesn't follow the time-of-day usage patterns expected for applications with a live human in front of them.

...Mark