[Bloat] Bufferbloat Paper

grenville armitage garmitage at swin.edu.au
Thu Jan 17 20:23:11 EST 2013

On 01/09/2013 16:02, David Lang wrote:
	.[.]
> I really like the idea of trying to measure latency by sniffing the network and watching the time for responses.

Probably tangential, but http://caia.swin.edu.au/tools/spp/ has proven useful to our group for measuring RTT between two arbitrary packet capture points, for symmetric or asymmetric UDP or TCP traffic flows.

Even more tangential, http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/LCN.2005.101 ("Passive TCP Stream Estimation of RTT and Jitter Parameters") might be an interesting algorithm to implement for estimating RTT of TCP flows seen at a single capture point. (This 2005 paper describes an extension of a technique used by tstat at the time.)

cheers,
gja