[Bloat] [Babel-users] RTT stability inside a GRE tunnel

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Tue Jul 2 00:48:14 EDT 2013

On Tue, 2 Jul 2013, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:

> Anybody seen anything similar?

I don't know if this is the cause, but older gear from Extreme Networks
(their end-of-90ties and beginning of 2000s), will do ICMP in slow-path
when routing (even packets going through the device) and "everything else"
in fast-path. This could cause latency spikes and PDV approximately
similar to what's seen in the picture.

The seen behaviour could also perhaps be caused by per-packet QoS settings
in the path, where ICMP might have lower priority than GRE. I don't think
this explanation is likely though.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se