[Bloat] CS244's work on netflix streaming

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 17:01:23 EDT 2013

I really love the work that stanford's CS244 does.

I was reading this paper about netflix's "downward spiral" problem...

http://www.stanford.edu/~huangty/imc012-huang.pdf

When greg white pointed me at this wonderful followup:

http://reproducingnetworkresearch.wordpress.com/2013/03/13/cs244-13-rising-
from-the-depths-observing-and-implementing-improvements-in-online-video-bit
rate-selection/

"The students' goal was to reproduce the research done in the Huang paper.
What they found was that in the interim Netflix had fixed the problems
outlined by Huang, so they reverse engineered the original Netflix rate
adaptation algorithm, and then evaluated several new rate adaptation
approaches.

Cool stuff."

Also the discussion of "remy" going on is pretty nifty.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/103530621949492999968/posts/2L9e4kxo9y3