[Bloat] experimental TCP theatre/LARP --- June 7 talk at oclug

Michael Richardson mcr at sandelman.ca
Mon Jun 10 09:18:05 EDT 2013

I did my talk on June 7.  It was an attempt to implement TCP as theatre.
It did not go as well as I would have liked, VJ's fountain analogy is
much more powerful, but significantly less portable.

We implemented the Toffee Consumption Protocol, which involved moving
candies from one table to another, using shot-glasses to represent
segments of data, and playing cards to represent sequence numbers.
Slides are at:
       http://www.sandelman.ca/SSW/talks/toffee-control-protocol-2013/bloatgame.html

I should have included more supporting material from Nichols paper.

I was concerned that the transmitter would operate too fast, and that I
would be unable to slow the packets down enough.  In fact the
transmitter didn't have enough power, and the packets did go to fast,
and we got no interesting congestion.

A key thing is that packets take longer (visually, have to stretch out!)
when going through a constriction.  It might have been possible to
implement that had we used multiple people to carry a single packet.
So for instance, using canoe paddles or sticks or tent poles for packets
rather than candy.