[Bloat] Google's experiments with QUIC and SPDY

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Fri Jun 28 04:33:22 EDT 2013

Has anybody tried this stuff in a bloat sensitive environment?

Experimenting with QUIC
http://blog.chromium.org/2013/06/experimenting-with-quic.html

   "QUIC (Quick UDP Internet Connections) is an early-stage network
    protocol we are experimenting with that runs a stream multiplexing
    protocol over a new flavor of Transport Layer Security (TLS) on top of
    UDP instead of TCP. QUIC combines a carefully selected collection of
    techniques to reduce the number of round trips we need as we surf the
    Internet. You can learn more in the design document, but here are some
    of the highlights: ..."

SPDY: An experimental protocol for a faster web
  http://www.chromium.org/spdy/spdy-whitepaper

As part of the "Let's make the web faster" initiative, we are experimenting
with alternative protocols to help reduce the latency of web pages. One of
these experiments is SPDY (pronounced "SPeeDY"), an application-layer
protocol for transporting content over the web, designed specifically for
minimal latency.  In addition to a specification of the protocol, we have
developed a SPDY-enabled Google Chrome browser and open-source web server. In
lab tests, we have compared the performance of these applications over HTTP
and SPDY, and have observed up to 64% reductions in page load times in SPDY.
We hope to engage the open source community to contribute ideas, feedback,
code, and test results, to make SPDY the next-generation application protocol
for a faster web.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.