[Bloat] Google's QUIC has reached NANOG

Bruce Atherton bruce at callenish.com
Fri Jun 28 19:17:04 EDT 2013

On 28/06/2013 3:05 PM, Justin Andrusk wrote:

> So am I the only one concerned that they are looking to use udp
> instead of tcp?

It is an important part of the design. They want to multiplex streams
into a single connection, and ordered packets means one lost packet in
one stream holds up all the streams. Only way around that is with
something other than TCP right now. This is a major downside of
multiplexing SPDY over using multiple connections, which I believe was
one of the prime motivators to develop QUIC.

In the FAQ, they mention that they are hoping once they get a good
design in QUIC some of its ideas can be moved into TCP. Someday.