[Bloat] Bufferbloat overview article

Tristan Seligmann mithrandi at mithrandi.net
Sat Mar 2 18:31:51 EST 2013

As part of my adventures into (de)bloating my home router (which is an
x86 box running Debian, rather than openwrt/cerowrt or similar), I've
always intended to document the details on my blog once I got a
chance. I recently started work on this; since the first post I wrote
is just a general exploration of the "bufferbloat" problem, and it's
been well-received by everyone I've shown it to so far, I thought I'd
pass it around:

https://mithrandi.net/blog/2013/02/a-brief-history-of-bufferbloat/

Comments & criticism welcome; either in the comments, or by email.

The follow-up posts I have planned will dig more deeply into the
details of kernel patching, tuning fq_codel, htb ratelimits, and so
on. I'll probably also take a crack at packaging some of the tools
(such as netperf-wrapper) that aren't currently available as Debian
packages.