[Bloat] Advice for dual wifi home network

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 19:24:43 EST 2013

On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 7:09 PM, David Lang <david at lang.hm> wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Mar 2013, Dave Taht wrote:
>
>  On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 6:36 PM, Jonathan Morton <chromatix99 at gmail.com
>> >wrote:
>>

>>> On 8 Mar, 2013, at 1:22 am, Sandy McArthur wrote:
>>>
>>>  I'm looking to setup a home network with two APs connected by ethernet.
>>>>
>>>  I think I understand the default network settings for use as a single
>>> cerowrt network but I'm struggling how to wrap my brain around how a
>>> second
>>> router should be configured so that the second access point isn't just
>>> another level of NAT deeper inside the first router.

>>> You will need four devices, if your modem is not itself a router:
>>>
>>> Modem  -----  Router (does NAT)
>>>               |    |
>>>              AP    AP   (both in bridge mode)
>>>
>>>  - Jonathan Morton
>>>

>> Bridging bad idea in modern age. Routing good. Just the two cero devices
>> he
>> has is fine.,
>>

> Bridging is bad, but bridging with the ability to move from AP to AP can
> be far better than two routers and the user has to manually disconnect from
> one (breaking all existing connections) and attach to the other.

Depends on signal strength. I'd rather reconnect to wifi box "upstairs",
clearly marked as such, when upstairs. I'd rather my wifi boxes live on
different channels, so devices in each part of the house get more
bandwidth, less errors/retries and lower latency.

In the case of persistent connections these days I mostly use
mosh.mit.eduinstead of ssh, and mosh survives moving from any network
to any network
and even suspend/resume. That was my main use of persistent connections,
admittedly.

That's me.

Now, cero's preference for routing over bridging comes from the science
part, in that it was impossible to analyze the behavior of bridged
wifi/wired networks when we started, so we broke apart the 2.4 ghz, 5.xghz
and ethernet networks started exploring what it would take to make routing
easier and better.

Along the way, for example, babel gained authentication.

It certainly is possible to bridge or only partially bridge cero, it's just
more complex than routing it, presently.

Secondly, and I know I'm weird, I still generally use ahcp and babel on my
laptops and thus regain the ability to move from AP to AP, as well as act
as a mesh node for such, as well as move from ethernet to wireless and
back, transparently, without dropping connections.

That's a bit of bleeding edge technology that few have tried... and has
become harder and harder to use on unhackable android devices, in
particular.

> David Lang

Fixing bufferbloat with cerowrt:
http://www.teklibre.com/cerowrt/subscribe.html