[Bloat] Flow queuing performance (was: Re: [tsvwg] New Version Notification for draft-baker-tsvwg-aqm-recommendation-00.txt)

Eric Dumazet eric.dumazet at gmail.com
Sun Mar 17 15:32:40 EDT 2013

On Sun, 2013-03-17 at 12:24 -0700, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 15:12:16 -0400
> Jim Gettys <jg at freedesktop.org> wrote:
>
> > As a result, at the last Linux Plumber's Conference in August, there was
> > general consensus that we could replace PFIFO_FAST as the default qdisc in
> > Linux, awaiting just our confidence that fq_codel (or something very
> > similar) was mature enough for such a step.
>
> The only thing holding this back is that some user's still want to have priority queueing
> of control packets. I (and others) have done some experiments on layering a traditional
> three class priority layer on top of fq_codel, but nothing concrete has been submitted
> for review.

I did a patch on top of fq_codel to add 3 bands (same prio
classification than pfifo_fast).

I added a new attribute at that time to enable this 3 bands (and
disabling the external classifier, as it uses same skb->priority field.)

I probably better clone fq_codel, because if we want a pfifo_fast
replacement, it should run without the help of a "tc" command.