[Bloat] Flow queuing performance (was: Re: [tsvwg] New Version Notification for draft-baker-tsvwg-aqm-recommendation-00.txt)

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Mon Mar 18 00:30:36 EDT 2013

On Sun, 17 Mar 2013, Jim Gettys wrote:

> Secondly, an extremely important factoid about why we got so excited
> about fq_codel (which is really DRR, in term derived from SFQ, combined
> with CoDel along with detecting thin vs. thick flows) is its
> performance:

I can imagine! One thought, have tests been done that indicate that
generally an all-TCP-ACK "flow" (as seen in the egress direction) is still
considered a "thin" flow? In the ADSL case with 20 meg down and 1 meg up,
I seem to remember that ACKing 20 megabit/s of traffic uses 30-40% of the
upstream bandwidth so it's a matter of opinion if this is actually a thick
flow or not?

I'm trying to understand how codel handles the use case of 100 upload
torrent TCP sessions (all trying to run max upload speed) and a single tcp
http/ftp download. This is one of the most common complaints I've seen
over the years about bufferbloat, uploading destroys download performance.

Another thing that I would like to see tested on Linux is the combination
of fq_codel and shaping the speed. This is for the use case in ETTH
selling for instance a 100/10 connection, where the 10 upstream connection
is achieved by policing the bw in the ETTH access switch (the physical
port is 100/100. It would give the user a better experience if the CPE
could shape the traffic outgoing to 10 megabit to avoid the packet loss
caused by the policing. This is something I would like to put in as an RFQ
requirement, so it would be good if any AQM standard actually defined this
mechanism and it was part of the description.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se