[Bloat] Solving bufferbloat with TCP using packet delay

Steffan Norberhuis steffan at norberhuis.nl
Wed Mar 20 11:36:49 EDT 2013

Hello Everyone,

For a project for the Delft Technical University myself and 3 students are
writing a review paper on the buffer bloat problem and its possible
solutions. I also subscribed to this mailinglist and see alot of proposed
solutions to be AQM.

But hardly any talk about solving buffer bloat by using a TCP variant that
that uses packet delay as a way to determine the send rate. We did not come
across any papers that argue that these TCP variants are not a good
solution. We went to several professors with the question if TCP using
packet delay was not a good solution. But we did not get a concise answer.
In our view AQM needs alot of new hardware to be implemented and a TCP
variant would perhaps be easier to implement and is also able to solve
bufferbloat.

So I have a few questions I would like to ask you:
- Is TCP using packet delay considered as part of the solution for
bufferbloat?

- What are the problems of TCP delay variants that keep it from solving
bufferbloat?

- What are the drawbacks of the TCP delay variants that would favor AQM
over TCP?

- What are the advantages of TCP delay varaints that would favor TCP over
AQM?

Best regards,

Steffan Norberhuis