[Bloat] other people's VLAN congestion

Michael Richardson mcr at sandelman.ca
Thu Mar 21 10:53:12 EDT 2013

This is for the page where we list places that you may have bufferbloat
and be unable to see it.  I think that there is a place in the wiki, but
I have to locate it, and I started writing this offline.

Many owners of (managed) fiber sell NNI to Access Port "LAN Extension"
services. Typically there is a 1GB/s ethernet NNI in the data center,
and a VLAN is assigned to travel to a 10Mb/s or 100Mb/s port at each site.

The consumer of this service is usually (Boutique) ISPs, but also larger
enterprises.   Without oversubscribing the NNI, the provider of the
fiber may have oversubscribed the service, and this can cause queues to
develop inside of this layer-2 network.  Even without oversubscription
in the provider network, instantaenous bursts can sometimes cause
significant jitter and buffer consumption.

These buffers may have nothing to do with the consumer's
traffic. Addition of buffers here reduces the drop probability therefore
appears to the provider to be a good idea.