[Bloat] [tsvwg] how much of a problem is buffer bloat today?

David Lang david at lang.hm
Thu Mar 21 16:04:21 EDT 2013

On Thu, 21 Mar 2013, Oliver Hohlfeld wrote:

> On 03/13/2013 03:23 PM, Eliot Lear wrote:
>> I don't have an answer to that question, but Mark Allman from ICIR did
>> attempt to characterize buffer bloat on the Internet through an
>> empirical study that appeared in the January edition of CCR.  You can
>> find a reference to that paper at the following URL:
>>
>> http://www.sigcomm.org/ccr/papers/2013/January/2427036.2427041
>
> The full extend of the answer is still unclear to me. We have recently
> attempt to complement the rather technical and QoS centric view on the
> buffer bloat problem by estimating the user experience impact:
>
> BufferBloat: How Relevant? A QoE Perspective on Buffer Sizing.
> Oliver Hohlfeld, Enric Pujol, Florin Ciucu, Anja Feldmann, Paul Barford
> http://downloads.ohohlfeld.com/paper/bufferbloat-qoe-tr.pdf
>
> The paper studies the impact of buffer sizes on VoIP, IPTV, and web
> browsing Quality of Experience (QoE). We find that:
>
> - oversized buffers indeed degrade QoE when they are sustainable filled.
> - however, large buffers do not always degrade user experience.
> - the level of congestion significantly degrades QoE, oftentimes more
>  than buffer sizes.
>
> One example discussed in the paper is web browsing. When the level of
> congestion is low, HTTP transactions benefit from "large" buffers as
> they reduce losses by absorbing transient bursts. When the level of
> congestion is high, transfer times become RTT dominated and the queuing
> delays start to kick in.

Actually, I see performace dropping off when saturating a link with HTTP
traffic, instead of a smooth flow, the flow becomes very bursty (looking at
traffic with MRTG set to very short sample times shows graphs like ||||| instead
of a smooth -----) This results in me getting substantially less than the
theoretical throughput of my DSL line.

Bufferbloat perfectly accounts for this (sender sends really fast, but the
traffic is not getting through, so it stalls waiting for the acks, packets get
lost/time out, speed collapses and you end up starting again from slow speeds)

Also, if you measure the impact of bufferbloat in terms of how many seconds a
day the line is impacted, you get a horribly skewed view of the impact.

Remember that out of 24 hours, a typical residential line is idle for 8 hours
because the occupants are sleeping and about 10 hours because they are at work.
Most people do not spend the remaining 6 hours using their computer, so for most
people, they are only using their machine somewhere in the order of 3 hours/day,
which is only 12% of the time. (although things like netflix and other streaming
video services may adjust this upwards)

If you say bufferbloat only happens 6% of the day, that means that it's
happening about 50% of the time that people are trying to use their systems.

If you then add in to this the fact that even while using the computer, most
people have times when the network is idle, the percentage of time that
bufferbloat impacts the user climbs even higher.

David Lang