[Bloat] Solving bufferbloat with TCP using packet delay

Maarten de Vries maarten at de-vri.es
Tue Mar 26 09:10:15 EDT 2013

I won't deny that there are problems with delay based congestion control,
but at least some of the same problems also apply to AQM.

In the presence of greedy UDP flows, AQM would highly bias those flows.
Sure, the more packets a flow sends, the more it will have it's packets
dropped. But only TCP will lower its congestion window and the greedy UDP
flow will happily continue filling the buffer. The effect is that only the
UDP flow will use most of the available bandwidth. Yes, the queue will be
shorter so the TCP flow will have a lower delay, but it will also have a
much lower throughput.

Of course, the same applies for delay based congestion control and the
greedy flow will still use most of the bandwidth and in addition the delay
will be higher. The point remains that neither AQM nor delay based
congestion control can provide a fair solution when there are greedy or
stupid flows present. Unless of course there are multiple queues for the
different types of flows, but yeah, where's that pink pony? Let's make it a
unicorn while we're at it.

And yes, there are much more endpoints than switches/routers. But I imagine
they are also much more homogeneous. I could be wrong about this since I
don't know too much about network equipment used by ISPs. Either way, it
seems to me that most endpoints are running either Windows, Linux (or
Android), a BSD variant or something made by Apple. And I would imagine
most embedded systems (the remaining endpoints that don't run a consumer
OS) aren't connected directly to the internet and won't be able to wreak
much havoc. Consumer operating systems are regularly updated as it is, so
sneaking in a new TCP variant should be *relatively* easy. Again, I might
be wrong, but these are just my thoughts.

I short, I'm not saying there are no problems, but I'm saying it might be
easy to ignore the idea as ineffective too quickly.

Kind regards,
Maarten de Vries