[Bloat] [Cerowrt-devel] Google working on experimental 3.8 Linux kernel for Android

William Allen Simpson william.allen.simpson at gmail.com
Sat Mar 2 08:27:31 EST 2013

On 3/1/13 10:39 PM, Ketan Kulkarni wrote:
> Consider from end-user perspective, getting a voice call while surfing/downloading on 2G/3G interrupts all the download and it is annoying.

Ummm, this isn't entirely accurate.  When Karn and I designed CDMA IS-99
circa '93 -'94 with data in the control channel, data never stopped
during voice calls.

Maybe some versions of 2G/3G couldn't do that, but better versions.... ;-)

> Similarly going ahead we might very well have handoff from wifi to LTE - why not?

Agreed.  But again, we've known how to do soft hand-off for a long time.

> On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 9:57 PM, <dpreed at reed.com <mailto:dpreed at reed.com>> wrote:
>     This is why "more buffering is better" continues to be the law of the land - the spec is defined to be "no lost packets under load".   I'm sure that the primary measure under load for RRUL will be "no lost packets" by the time it gets to field
>     engineers in the form of "specs" - because that's what they've *always* been told, and they will disregard any changes as "typos".

We've had this problem with bell-heads forever.  Even back in the days
with heavy packet loss at MAE-East, bell-heads would continue to
insist that any packet loss was an alarm condition.  Even after PPP
LQM showed they mangled bits and bytes on even their most prized T3
links (and had been lying to the FCC about uptime for decades), we
never could shake off the syndrome.

It's the "every bit is sacred" mentality.