[Bloat] bufferbloat on 10Gig fiber at the gathering?

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 13:20:36 EDT 2013

see a rrul test on this link at - (sorry you will have to unmangle the
url, no dns for this yet)

http:// 151 dot 216 dot 125 dot 10/germany/rrul/long_period_swings.svg

I am curious if this is an artifact of the data, the rrul test itself,
or actually observing long period latency swings due to bufferbloat at
these enormous speeds.

Similarly, I did a long period test to my machine in california:

http:// 151 dot 216 dot 125 dot 10 /~d/california/postfixes_long.svg

The measured latency on this link, unloaded, was 195ms, earlier this
morning before 5000 participants arrived

http:// 151 dot 216 dot 125 dot 10 /~d/rrul/to_california2.svg

so there appears to be ~15ms of intrinsic latency added, and then
anywhere between 10-200ms more, at the bottleneck fiber link to the
internet from "the gathering", too.

plenty of other data on the same ~d url, I figure the above format
will pass your spam stoppers.

There is no RED nor WRR configured on this cisco box, and although it
appears both are supported on the 10gig line card, I have no idea how
to configure RED at these speeds (3 10gig fiber lines, 2 of which are
basically saturated so far). Suggestions?

Very interesting data thus far. I am getting tons of captures. It is a
really impressive scene, see my g+ account for some pictures.