[Bloat] bufferbloat on 10Gig fiber at the gathering?

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Wed Mar 27 21:04:57 EDT 2013

On Wed, 27 Mar 2013, Dave Taht wrote:

> There is no RED nor WRR configured on this cisco box, and although it
> appears both are supported on the 10gig line card, I have no idea how to
> configure RED at these speeds (3 10gig fiber lines, 2 of which are
> basically saturated so far). Suggestions?

What platform is used? ASR9000? It has ~50 ms of FIFO buffering per port
if nothing is configured if I remember correctly.

policy-map EGRESS
class class-default
random-detect precedence 0 10 ms 30 ms

int teng0/0/0/0
service-policy EGRESS output

This should create a policy-map called EGRESS which does WRED for prec 0
traffic with 0% drop until 10 ms and 100% drop at 30ms of buffer depth,
and then this is attached in the egress-direction on tengi0/0/0/0

> Very interesting data thus far. I am getting tons of captures. It is a
> really impressive scene, see my g+ account for some pictures.

I'm kind of disappointed that they don't have enough bw there, lately
these kinds of events have had more bandwidth available than has been
used because ISPs and vendors have used them as tech demonstrators, and
also that people have enough bw available at home so it's been less
downloading/uploading done there.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se