[Bloat] Latest codel, fq_codel, and pie sim study from cablelabs now available

Wes Felter wmf at felter.org
Tue May 7 15:56:02 EDT 2013

On 5/7/13 11:30 AM, Greg White wrote:
> This presumes that UDP is the only traffic that is latency sensitive (we
> also consider web traffic to be latency sensitive), and that TCP carries
> the bulk data that causes problems for latency sensitive traffic (AFAIK
> BitTorrent uTP is layered on top of UDP).
>
> I'm not sure that a TCP/UDP distinction ends up helping in the end.

I agree. We already have ToS/DiffServ so I would be hesitant to try to
encode some other heuristic into a scheduler. (If your traffic isn't
properly marked you can use some heuristic iptables rules to remark it,
keeping classification orthogonal from scheduling.)

Is it time for prio_fq_codel or wfq_codel? That's what comes to mind
when seeing the BitTorrent vs. VoIP results.

--
Wes Felter
IBM Research - Austin