[Bloat] [Codel] Latest codel, fq_codel, and pie sim study from cablelabs now available

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Tue May 14 06:24:10 EDT 2013

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 9:56 PM, Tristan Seligmann
<mithrandi at mithrandi.net>wrote:

> On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 4:26 AM, Dan Siemon <dan at coverfire.com> wrote:
>
>> It's pretty easy to configure the Transmission Bittorrent client to mark
>> packets.

It is not clear to me that transmission correctly marks uTP traffic,
particularly on IPv6. grep the current sources for "TCLASS"?

>  Unfortunately this only helps with outgoing traffic. Marking on inbound
> traffic is at the mercy of the torrent peer and your ISP (in my case, my
> ISP seems to overwrite the TOS/DS field indiscriminately, not that you
> would want to trust the marking for inbound traffic anyway), and matching
> by port is also not feasible as outgoing connections involve a random port
> on my side, and an arbitrary port on the peer's side.

It is very evident that incoming traffic needs to be re-marked at the
gateway, as a huge percentage of traffic I see at one of my sites is marked
background that shouldn't be. (or there's a bug in my script)

Inappropriately marking traffic as background has side effects on stuff
inside the gateway, particularly on wifi, as it gets tossed into the hw
background queue, which has different scheduling characteristics than best
effort.

As for dealing with incoming vs outgoing traffic, it might be possible to
use connection tracking to successfully re-mark traffic on incoming to
match the outgoing.

> --
> mithrandi, i Ainil en-Balandor, a faer Ambar

Fixing bufferbloat with cerowrt:
http://www.teklibre.com/cerowrt/subscribe.html