[Bloat] [Codel] Network test tools for many parallel/concurrent connections?

Jesper Dangaard Brouer jbrouer at redhat.com
Tue May 14 15:48:41 EDT 2013

On Tue, 14 May 2013 07:46:02 -0700
Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:

> I still use tcptrace and xplot.org for deep dives.

Okay, I just hoped something new popped up.

Didn't we add some tcp trace system to the kernel?

> I just fired off 2048 netperfs to localhost on my laptop.  It started
> bogging down at 1000 but made it to the end, all connections chugging
> away.

So you just did a for loop with netperf's I assume.
If so, remember to adjust the "ulimit" of the shell.
Run 'ulimit -a' and you most likely need to adjust "ulimit -u".

I also played with "iperf --parallel" but iperf is not consistently
starting all the TCP connections.

> Probably a better tool would be the apache benchmark `ab` or
> something else that is built to stress out web sites.

Yes, I guess that might be the easiest "quick" solution.

--
Best regards,
  Jesper Dangaard Brouer