[Bloat] The bigger picture: whats components are used together to fight bloat

Michael Richardson mcr at sandelman.ca
Thu May 16 15:17:36 EDT 2013

Thanks for the reply.

    >> I anticipate similar problems trying to provide VoIP over (initially:
    >> stationary) 3G.  Two providers have promised me that I'll be able to do PPP
    >> directly to the devices, but when they show me a price list, it's clearly
    >> for whole(re)sale.  I think the sales people don't understand that they are
    >> lying, so I have less details on this.

    Mikael> Even if you do ppp to the device, you're still not the bottleneck. Every 3G
    Mikael> pluggable device I'm aware of does its own scheduling and just
    Mikael> emulates/spoofs the ethernet/ppp layer so it's easier to integrate into the
    Mikael> operating system. I wouldn't be surprised if most phones were done the same
    Mikael> way, the OS of the system talks to the baseband part, but the baseband part
    Mikael> does its own queueing.

Most phones talk USB serial to the radio.  Many even use "AT" command
set...  Most "rocket sticks" contain the same radio, but it speaks
USB-ethernet instead of USB-serial, or sometimes it's a completely
proprietary (Windows only) interface.

    >> So the problem is that we can't always know what amount to shape things
    >> with.   As I am working with a vendor of CPE and access devices which
    >> says that they have an SDK, I attempting to put together a project to do
    >> measurements.  I will control the layer-3 devices at each end of the PPP(oE)
    >> link...

    Mikael> If you want to be able to do sane scheduling on 3GPP devices
    Mikael> then you need to
    Mikael> interact with the APIs provided to do traffic prioritization the 3GPP
    Mikael> way. These are called "Traffic Flow Templates", but they
    Mikael> basically just sorts
    Mikael> packets according to criteria into different parallell
    Mikael> queues (bearers) with
    Mikael> different priority in the radio network. So you get a few FIFOs instead of
    Mikael> just one.

yes, I'm aware that there are multiple queues.  I have no idea at this
point if we will get to speak at that layer, I suspect that we will get
access to a single queue.

The 3G situation is a sometime in 3-quarters thing.
The PPPoE situation is next month :-)