[Bloat] a request I made to ISOC and IETF TSV AD

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Tue May 21 04:45:42 EDT 2013

On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 6:42 AM, Michael Richardson <mcr at sandelman.ca> wrote:

> this is a FYI.
>
> ISOC says they are full for 2013.  If someone can think of another
> entity to coordinate, and take some of the *outreach* load off
> of JG, DT, and friends, name it..

I would like to find that entity or person(s) for sure!

I'm *done* the european tour as of today and want nothing more than to get
back to california and back on coding up a ton more useful stuff (like
fixing wifi and updating the ns2/ns3 models, getting better statistics,
analyzing the cablelabs work, working on a pfifo_fast replacement etc)

While I enjoyed giving all the talks I just did, getting the word out in
front of a wide variety of audiences, meeting cool people everywhere, and
figuring out new ways to explain this stuff in response to questions... and
a lot of that got filmed...

http://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/cerowrt/wiki/Bloat-videos

It seemed to be really difficult to get anywhere with a new audience in 40
minutes or less.

But in doing that and coping with the questions, I have thought up a few
more graphical ways of getting the points across in some future world tour
(APAC?) that *given some time with a decent artist* might compress down the
ideas a little.

The longer, private talks I had all over europe were pretty good - I'm
seriously encouraged by the response from various industries...

... but I'd really like to go back to hacking for a while.

> On May 6, 2013, at 3:49 PM, Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf at sandelman.ca>
> wrote:
> > Welcome to the IESG, Spencer.
> >
> > I am putting my <operator> hat on as <mcr at novavision.ca>.
> > Novavision is a boutique business ISP in Montreal, Quebec has fiber in a
> > number of industrial parks.  I'm the network architect and director of
> R&D.
> > We have serious bufferbloat issues that prevent us from deploying the
> > kind of service we want.  In many cases I control both ends of the
> > layer-3, and I could deploy whatever I want.  If only I could train the
> > sales engineers of my vendors...
>
> > Awhile ago I suggested to Dan York that ISOC should consider adding
> > bufferbloat to it's Deploy360-ish efforts.  A key thing for me around
> > bufferbloat is:
> >  a) convincing companies that it's real.  A video hosted by
> >     Vint or Bob Kahn, aimed at semi-technical CTOs would help.
> >
> >  b) having convinced them that it's real, I need to find out what
> >     they are doing about it, and what work arounds they might have.
> >
> >     I suggest a well curated wiki for (b), with encouragement for
> >     vendors to link directly to their "knowledge bases", etc.
> >
> >  c) some point of contact for bufferbloat issues...
> >     This would have to start with some kind of IETF led attempt to
> >     actually find out who at various companies might be in charge
> >     of figuring who is in charge of figuring out what the contact would
> >     be.
> >
> > Some small vendor specific background.  Novavision is a Juniper partner.
> > I explained that I couldn't buy a product until I had some clear
> > statements about bufferbloat plans from the sales engineer.   I tried to
> get
> > the SE some contacts... I used various contacts I had @juniper.net, but
> > they came up blank.   They didn't know how to address this question
> > either.   I think that this is a industry wide problem.

Fixing bufferbloat with cerowrt:
http://www.teklibre.com/cerowrt/subscribe.html