[Bloat] tc linklayer ADSL calc broken after commit 56b765b79 (htb: improved accuracy at high rates)

Jesper Dangaard Brouer brouer at redhat.com
Wed May 29 09:13:30 EDT 2013

I recently discovered that the (traffic control) tc linklayer
calculations for ATM/ADSL have been broken by:
 commit 56b765b79 (htb: improved accuracy at high rates).

Thus, people shaping on ADSL links, using e.g.:
 tc class add ... htb rate X ceil Y linklayer atm overhead 10

Will no-longer get ATM cell tax/overhead adjusted.

How can we solve/fix this?
Perhaps we can change to use the "stab" system instead (as it does
not seem to be broken by the commit).

But how do we facilitate a change to use "stab" system (for all the
scripts using the old option)?

Can we change the iproute2/tc command to handle this transparently, or
should we give an error/warning if someone uses "tc" and "linklayer" on
a kernel above v.3.8. ?

History:
 - My linklayer ATM changes appeared in kernel 2.6.24 (and iproute2 2.6.25)
 - The STAB changes appeared in kernel 2.6.27

--
Best regards,
  Jesper Dangaard Brouer