[Bloat] tc linklayer ADSL calc broken after commit 56b765b79 (htb: improved accuracy at high rates)

Jesper Dangaard Brouer jbrouer at redhat.com
Thu May 30 05:15:47 EDT 2013

On Wed, 29 May 2013 16:18:26 -0700
Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-05-29 at 15:50 -0700, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> > On Wed, 29 May 2013 08:52:04 -0700
> > Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet at gmail.com> wrote:

> Adding the logic on the kernel is doable, by adding some clean
> attributes so that tc can setup the feature, and report the attributes
> back.

Yes, doing the logic in the kernel might be a better solution.
But the question is how do we keep iproute2 backward compatible with
older kernels?

> cpus are fast today and can perform the atm cell/overhead faster than
> a table lookup.

Do remember that the target CPU is small embedded router boxes.
BUT I do agree that, the following code required, is probably faster
than a table lookup:

 int pkt_len = skb->len + (encap_overhead * gso_segments);
 int wire_sz = DIV_ROUND_UP(pkt_len,48)*53;

(I suspect, that the compiler might even optimize and remove any
real divisions, I bet Eric can tell us.)

Looking at how simple the above code is, I'm a little appalled by all
the table lookup infrastructure and hacks we added, to
support/implement this.

--
Best regards,
  Jesper Dangaard Brouer