[Bloat] The bigger picture: what components are used together to fight bloat

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sat May 4 16:56:41 EDT 2013

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 4:44 AM, Forums1000 <forums1000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I hope I can get a bit more information on what comprises the total
> solution. But knitting it together proves a bit hard (for me at least).
> Without this, it is hard to follow the discussions on the list. Has anyone
> made a summary of how all of this works together?
>
> So:
>
> 1. In order to move the bottleneck to a device under our administrative
> control, we need to shape traffic (we need to become the bottleneck).

Or the algorithms need to be running on the bottleneck device.

> 2. Next, we have the AQM-algorithms that manage the (or a) queue.
> 3. And then there are still issues with multiple flows and with UDP?
>
> From what I understand, we need to shape traffic, and then drop packets
> taking into account that the most aggressive flow (the flow that contributes
> the most to filling a buffer), is the flow that will get the most packets
> dropped. This to prevent the aggressive flow from impacting flows that
> behave better.

There are often many aggressive flows and it doesn't help to just
shoot at one or drop a ton of packets from one, inside of an RTT.

> Now for UDP, is the problem here that we cannot identify flows, and hence,
> only have one queue for UDP whereas for TCP we can have multiple?

Not true. Using a 5 tuple for udp works as well as it does for tcp.

http://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/cerowrt/wiki/Bloat-videos