[Bloat] Network test tools for many parallel/concurrent connections?

Jim Gettys jg at freedesktop.org
Tue May 14 14:13:46 EDT 2013

There are really three kinds of killer traffic here, and it's important to
understand the differences so as to best design testing:

   1) long lived flows that clobber you and ruin your whole day.

   2) "streaming" video traffic (e.g. netflix, youtube, hulu), that are
actually "chunking" data over TCP, and putting periodic latency into your
connection as they temporarily build some queue.

fq_codel can deal really, really well with both 1 and 2.  But the number of
flows is usually not very large.

   3) the DOS attacks of visiting a new sharded web page on your
broadband/wireless connection, where you get the multiplication of N
connections * TCP Initial Window size, sometime resulting in pulses of
order hundred packets in a ton of new flows.  I've measured transient
latency of order 100's of milliseconds on a 50Mbps cable system! These web
sites generate a bunch of flows effectively simultaneously, each with often
only a few packets so never even do slow start to speak of.

Exactly what damage is done given 3, using fq_codel's algorithm isn't
entirely clear to me.  Many/most images on such sharded web sites are quite
small, even less than one packet at times.

fq_codel is clearly radically better than nothing at handling 3, but I
suspect we still have work to do...  Spdy will help if/when fully deployed,
but the ability to game buffers remains, and will continue to provide
incentive to anti-social applications to mis-behave.  We're really far from
done, but as Matt Mathis notes, what we have now in fq_codel is soooo,
sooooo much better than the current disaster, we shouldn't wait to deploy
something 'better' while working out problems like that.

I've thought for a while that exactly how we want to define a "flow" may
depend on where we are in the network: what's appropriate for an ISP is
different than what we do in the home, for example.

How best to test for the problems these generate, at various points in the
network, is still a somewhat open question.  And ensuring everything works
well at scale is extremely important.

I'm glad Jesper is doing scaling tests!
                                        - Jim