[Bloat] [Codel] Network test tools for many parallel/concurrent connections?

Rick Jones rick.jones2 at hp.com
Wed May 15 12:37:59 EDT 2013

On 05/15/2013 03:27 AM, Jesper Dangaard Brouer wrote:
> Hi Rick,
>
> Thanks for your input :-)
>
> I will definitely look into all these advanced options that netperf
> provide (which is didn't know of).  Netperf is definitely my favorite
> benchmarking tool, but I don't think it supports concurrent connections?

Not explicitly, no.  It is left as a scripting exercise to the
benchmarker :)  The manual describes a few mechanisms for
"synchronization" of tests to mitigate issues of skew error.  My
"favorite" at this point is to post-process demo-mode output (which
presumes reasonably well-synchronized clocks).

> (Perhaps a stupid question:) I'm curr using netperf 2.x, any reason I
> should switch to netperf 3.x ?

Netperf 3.x was something of an experimental dead-end.  It did have the
idea of launching multiple threads in the netperf side, but retained the
process-per-connection model on the netserver side.  I would suggest
sticking with net[perf 2.x.

happy benchmarking,

rick

> Thanks you for developing netperf,

And to the *many* people who have contributed to it over the years.