[Bloat] T-Mobile LTE buffer bloat

Stefan Alfredsson Stefan.Alfredsson at kau.se
Wed Oct 30 22:04:23 EDT 2013

Hi, Stephen, the list,

We're running a 3G/4G measurement site at Karlstad university, with
mobile broadband subscriptions from the four major telecom operators in
Sweden. I was curious to see how measurements in our network would
compare to yours, so I did a measurement run with netalyzer.

To summarize, the measured buffering is well below one second for all
tests, although the results are not directly comparable since we are
using directly attached USB modems (Huawei E392 with Ubuntu 12.04)
instead of a separate router box. However, the numbers might be
interesting in a more general perspective.

Tele2 LTE: Upload 12 Mbit/s, 240 ms buffering, Download > 20  Mbit/s,
buffering not measurable
http://n1.netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/summary/id=43ca253f-6593-7f837e62-5321-488e-b480

Tele2 HSPA+: Upload 1.1 Mbit/s, 630 ms buffering, Download > 20 Mbit/s,
509 ms buffering
http://n2.netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/summary/id=43ca208a-23052-a0e80cbb-9a7c-44e0-ba88

Telenor LTE: Upload 16  Mbit/s, 190  ms buffering, Download >20  Mbit/s,
470 ms buffering
http://n3.netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/summary/id=36ea240d-31617-45bca5e3-53ef-450e-a9bf

Telenor HSPA+: Upload 3.4 Mbit/s,  200 ms buffering, Download > 14
Mbit/s, 490 ms buffering
http://n3.netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/summary/id=36ea240d-31612-c6d0d98d-8bcf-4a03-832d

Telia LTE: Upload 18 Mbit/s, 140 ms buffering, Download > 20 Mbit/s,
buffering not measurable
http://n3.netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/summary/id=36ea240d-31599-1ebc684e-c164-4786-832a

Telia HSPA+: Upload 1.1 Mbit/s, 630  ms buffering, Download > 20 Mbit/s,
640 ms buffering
http://n2.netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/summary/id=43ca208a-22984-40c59ae2-0c36-4e67-9039
(note similarity with Tele2 HSPA+ - IIUC Tele2 and Telia share the 3G
network infrastructure)

Tre LTE: Upload 19 Mbit/s, 150 ms buffering, Download > 20 Mbit/s, 98 ms
buffering
http://n3.netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/summary/id=36ea240d-31648-86a273a5-82ae-4929-a634

Tre HSPA+: Upload 3.5 Mbit/s, 190 ms buffering, Download > 8.6 Mbit/s,
780 ms buffering
http://n1.netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/summary/id=43ca253f-6609-3316da33-9ea6-41ca-a8ac

For reference, I also made a measurement from the same host, but using a
wired connection over the Swedish university network: Upload was
measured to > 20 Mbit/s and download to 15 Mbit/s, with no measurable
buffering.
http://n1.netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/summary/id=43ca253f-6563-078896ce-dc0a-4333-9119

Regards,
   Stefan Alfredsson