[Bloat] modest scale local measurements

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 11:18:00 PDT 2014

This weekend for the first time ever I saw netflix become unusable for
several hours on a friday night. On DSL line capable of over 6mbits
down, it slowed below 1.2Mbit and frequently stopped.

For a change I was NOT interested in leaping up from the couch to
capture traffic (read a book instead!) to see what was up, but it did
set me to thinking about monitoring congestion and delay on local
network segments, like those you find in cable, where you frequently
see arp requests go by anyway and thus can build
an partial picture of the rest of the wire.

I was seriously impressed and somewhat scared by the power of zmap:

https://zmap.io/

But it would be interesting to be able to collect a periodic picture
of the universe one hop beyond the local gateway.

NSFW: https://w2.eff.org/Censorship/Internet_censorship_bills/russell_0296_indecent.article