[Bloat] chrome web page benchmarker fixed

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 13:49:13 EDT 2014

Getting a grip on real web page load time behavior in an age of
sharded websites,
dozens of dns lookups, javascript, and fairly random behavior in ad services
and cdns against how a modern browsers behaves is very, very hard.

it turns out if you run

google-chrome --enable-benchmarking --enable-net-benchmarking

(Mac users have to embed these options in their startup script - see
 http://www.chromium.org/developers/how-tos/run-chromium-with-flags )

enable developer options and install and run the chrome web page benchmarker,
( https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/page-benchmarker/channimfdomahekjcahlbpccbgaopjll?hl=en
)

that it works (at least for me, on a brief test of the latest chrome, on linux.
Can someone try windows and mac?)

You can then feed in a list of urls to test against, and post process
the resulting .csv file to your hearts content. We used to use this
benchmark a lot while trying to characterise typical web behaviors
under aqm and packet scheduling systems under load. Running
it simultaneously with a rrul test or one of the simpler tcp upload or download
tests in the rrul suite was often quite interesting.

It turned out the doc has been wrong a while as to the name of the second
command lnie option. I was gearing up mentally for having to look at
the source....

/me happy

Heartbleed POC on wifi campus networks with EAP auth:
http://www.eduroam.edu.au/advisory.html