[Bloat] Slightly off-topic: [Internet Policy] FCC's latest action - two questions

David Collier-Brown davec-b at rogers.com
Sun Apr 27 15:06:48 EDT 2014

While this discussion is about policy, the implementation is either
- TCP flow/congestion control, or
- stream throtteling

>From dealing with providers of the latter, I'm not prepared to swear
that trying to implement the latter won't blow up the former (;-))

The on-topic question might be, will attempts to do network capacity
management necessarily interfere with congestion control and aqm.
I can certainly imagine
- a management tool attempting to artificially buffer and delay a
stream, adding far more latency than it restricts bandwidth, or
- a management tool forging aqm "slow down" signals, or
- discarding packets to force retransmission and slowdowns.

I wonder what's worst? Best?

--dave