[Bloat] [iccrg] survey on Internet latency, FYI

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 09:53:08 EDT 2014

On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 8:07 AM, Michael Welzl <michawe at ifi.uio.no> wrote:
> The link below doesn't work anymore; a slighly updated version is at:
> http://riteproject.eu/?attachment_id=735

0) I enjoyed reading it, but it wasn't as comprehensive as I'd like,
and more than a few paragraphs reflected a bias that I'd have liked to
have had an opportunity to address before publication.

1) I would like a future version to dedicate a bit of space to "Byte
Queue Limits" (BQL), as that happens to have been the technology that
has made all the AQM and FQ algorithms scalable to 10s of gbits in
Linux. Prior to BQL, NO aqm or FQ worked right at line rate. I have
kept hoping some paper would examine the difference in latency due to
BQL for quite some time now... if it wasn't for the BQL breakthrough:

https://lists.bufferbloat.net/pipermail/bloat/2011-November/000726.html

The bufferbloat.net project would have folded up shop and quit that
year, if BQL hadn't arrived, as our initial focus on fixing wifi
wasn't working out.

The BQL concept and implementation are delightfully simple and fast
enough to run at interrupt cleanup time.

 http://lwn.net/Articles/454390/

And the results, spectacular, particularly on hosts with TSO or GSO
enabled, and at a wide range of rates, particularly high ones.

2) The same person that did Data Center TCP went off to do pfabric. I
don't see that in here.

3) Also HFSC seems to be widely used, in the DSL market in particular,
and is not in here.

4) Numerous other nits. I do hope further input from the community is
solicited for a 1.1, and I'd love it if it were available as a wiki or
html document one day for easier browsing/decoding/searching from the
Internet.

NSFW: https://w2.eff.org/Censorship/Internet_censorship_bills/russell_0296_indecent.article