[Bloat] sigcomm wifi

Steinar H. Gunderson sgunderson at bigfoot.com
Thu Aug 21 05:30:48 EDT 2014

On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 11:23:01AM +0200, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
> I also remember a problem that was solved by turning down the
> transmit power of the APs, as they were causing problems due to too
> much interference between them. Sometimes the solutions aren't all
> intuitive, and +1 on the experience of running these kinds of
> networks being important.

This is very common on 2.4 GHz (and will happen by itself in a
controller-based setup). Anything that reduces the cell size is good
(assuming you have enough APs for all the resulting cells); if you go to big
stadiums etc., you will also see lots of directional antennas to reduce the
cell size further.

Note that the AP also can ask _clients_ to reduce their power level
accordingly.

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/