[Bloat] sigcomm wifi

Michael Welzl michawe at ifi.uio.no
Mon Aug 25 03:25:06 EDT 2014

>> The conditions are probably different in each direction.  The AP is more likely to be sending large packets (DNS response, HTTP payload) while the client is more likely to send small packets (DNS request, TCP SYN, HTTP GET). The AP is also likely to want to aggregate a TCP SYN/ACK with another packet.
>
> If your use case is web browsing or streaming video yes. If it's gaming or other interactive use, much less so.

There's worse. Every time I'm on a public wifi network and send an email with an attached file (say, a paper I forward to someone), I wonder what that does to all the others on the network...
these things happen. Dropbox sync's in the background. Maybe some people try to use skype with video even when the link conditions are bad. Do such behaviors have a DoS'ish effect? They really shouldn't...

Cheers,
Michael