[Bloat] sigcomm wifi

Alex Burr ajb44.geo at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 25 05:18:41 EDT 2014

> On Monday, August 25, 2014 9:34 AM, Michael Welzl <michawe at ifi.uio.no> wrote:
> >
> On 25. aug. 2014, at 10:19, Sebastian Moeller wrote:
>
>>      What about framing the retransmissions not in number but rather in
> time? For example the maximum of either time to transmit a few (say 3?) packet
> at the current data rate (or maybe one rate lower than current to allow
> setoriating signal quality) or 20ms (pulled out of thin air, would need some
> research). The first should make sure we actually retransmit to overcome
> glitches, and the second should make sure that RTT does not increase to
> dramatically. This basically assumes that for reasonable interactive traffic we
> only have a given RTT budget and should make sure not to overspend ;)
>
> That would be VERY good I think!!!!

I agree.

A third reason for link-layer retransmission is to prevent glitches in video/audio
streams which aren't run over TCP and won't retransmit themselves. (This was basically
the reason link-layer retransmission got added to DSL, because telco's  were keen that
their bundled TV didn't have glitches - in this case, due to noise, rather than collisions).
This is also very consistent with the idea of only retransmitting within a short period.

Alex