[Bloat] The Dark Problem with AQM in the Internet?

Greg White g.white at CableLabs.com
Mon Aug 25 13:13:51 EDT 2014

As far as I know there are no deployments of AQM in DOCSIS networks yet.
So, the effect you are seeing is unlikely to be due to AQM.

As Sebastian indicated, it looks like an interaction between power boost,
a drop tail buffer and the tcp congestion window getting reset to
slow-start.

I ran a quick simulation of a simple network with power boost and basic
(bloated) drop tail buffer (no AQM) this morning in an attempt to
understand what is going on here. You didn't give me a lot to go on in the
text of your blog post, but nonetheless after playing around with
parameters a bit, I was able to get a result that was close to what you
are seeing (attached).  Let me know if you disagree.

I'm a bit concerned with the tone of your article, making AQM out to be
the bad guy here ("weapon against end users", etc.).  The folks on this
list and those who participate in the IETF AQM WG are working on AQM and
packet scheduling algorithms in an attempt to "fix the Internet".  At this
point AQM/PS is the best known solution, let's not create negative
perceptions unnecessarily.

-Greg