[Bloat] Comcast upped service levels -> WNDR3800 can't cope...

Jonathan Morton chromatix99 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 13:26:54 EDT 2014

On 29 Aug, 2014, at 8:11 pm, Steinar H. Gunderson wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 09:57:26AM -0700, Aaron Wood wrote:
>> It looks like it's definitely time for a new router platform (for me).
>
> Everyone's needs are different, of course, but I've found that having a dual
> HTPC+router (in the form of a simple little Atom box) works well for me.
> As a bonus, you'll never again need to worry about storage space, RAM,
> or any other embedded Linux crap; you can just run your favorite distro and
> be happy. :-)

That's basically what I do, only it's an old PowerBook G4.  The built-in Ethernet port happens to support GigE, and a second Ethernet port is added via the PCMCIA slot.  For a wireless AP, though, I punt on trying to make a client-oriented card do it, and use an Airport Extreme Base Station as a dedicated 802.11n bridge.

I haven't yet got around to checking how much data that lot can really push.  I should.  I suspect it might depend on how solidly the GigE chip is attached to the rest of the machine - probably by plain PCI, not PCIe.

Incidentally, that's a good marker of just how long 802.11n has been around.  My MBP and that Base Station, which I bought more-or-less together, both date from 2007.

 - Jonathan Morton